Looking for engaging St. Patrick's Day activities that incorporate science, technology, engineering and/or math? These STEM Challenges are engaging fun that your kids will love. You’ll love that you can celebrate the holiday without wasting instructional time on a party!
The basic premise:
Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build St. Patrick’s Day themed objects. Modification suggestions are included to make these challenges engaging and productive for students in grades 2 - 8.
There are five STEM design challenge events included in this bundle:
1. Guard the Gold (2nd – 8th)
2. Get the Gold (2nd – 8th)
3. Leprechaun Lockdown (2nd – 8th)
4. St. Pat’s Snake Snatcher (2nd – 8th)
5. Limitless Luck (2nd – 8th)
This bundle saves you 33% off the cost of buying each challenge separately. What a bargain! ☺
Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. Materials lists can be found in the product descriptions for each individual challenge linked above.
• Overall STEM Olympics Tips
- Suggestions on timing and whether or not to treat these challenges as competitions
- What to say (and what not to say) during STEM Challenges
- 5-event Data Tracker handout
Plus, each challenge comes with:
• NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
• Teacher Tips
- Links to STEM Challenge "How-to" Videos
- Links to challenge-specific video walk-throughs (all videos will post between Feb. 23 and March 12, 2017)
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
• Student Handouts
- Criteria and Constraints list (editable version provided)
- Results and Design Data Analysis
- Discussion Questions
• Extension templates
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extension
- Additional handouts vary by challenge
The preview shows an overview of what is included in each challenge. You can find more details by clicking on the individual challenges listed at the top of this page. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!
Note: All challenges in this resource were updated in February 2017, so be sure to re-download if you own already it!
Benefits of this STEM Design Challenge:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- Helps students develop growth mindset traits like persistence and resilience
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for ~60 - 90 min. if you are including data gathering and analysis rather than just building for fun. If you add extension activities, you will need to adjust timing accordingly.
NOTE: You can save even more by purchasing this bundle as part of the STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE!!!
You might also like these resources:
Seasonal STEM Design Challenge 5-in-1 Bundles (grades 2 – 8):
Or these great products:
St. Patrick’s Day Parts of Speech Activity (2nd – 3rd)
Photosynthesis: Hands-on Modeling Activity
Analyze and Interpret Data Unit