Looking for St. Patrick’s Day activities that your students will love but are more than just a St. Patrick’s Day craft to pass the time? This St. Patrick’s STEM Challenge will keep your students engaged in brain-busting work disguised as fun!
The basic premise:
Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build various Valentine’s themed items using science, technology, engineering, and math skills to complete the tasks and extensions. Modification suggestions are included to make these challenges engaging and productive for students in grades 2 - 8.
This bundle includes five challenges at a great discount!
⭐ St. Patrick's Day STEM Challenge: Guard the Gold 1:1 Paperless
⭐ St. Patrick's Day STEM Challenge: Get the Gold 1:1 Paperless Version
⭐ St. Patrick's Day STEM Challenge: Leprechaun Lockdown Paperless Version
⭐ St. Patrick's Day STEM Challenge: St. Pat's Snake Snatcher 1:1 Paperless Version
⭐ St. Patrick's Day STEM Challenge: Limitless Luck 1:1 Paperless Version
Note: This is the digital/paperless version. If you are prefer to print, you will want to check out the PRINTABLE VERSION instead.
If you have questions about which version is right for you, please feel free to leave me a question using the product Q&A below.
Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. Materials lists can be found in the product descriptions for each individual challenge linked above or by clicking through on its page in the downloadable preview.
• Overall STEM Tips
- Suggestions on timing and whether or not to treat these challenges as competitions
- What to say (and what not to say) during STEM Challenges
- 5-event Data Tracker handout
Plus, each challenge comes with:
• NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
• Teacher Tips
- Links to STEM Challenge How-to Videos
- Links to individual challenge walk-throughs
- Materials and timing
- Criteria & Constraints (including modifications to increase difficulty for older students)
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Universal STEM Challenge Tips/how to use the design analysis slides
• Student Slides
- Criteria and Constraints list
- Results and Design Analysis
- Discussion Questions
• Extension templates
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extensions
- Plus, other design-specific slides
- Links to applicable websites/videos (varies by challenge)
The preview shows an overview of what is included in each challenge. You can find more details by clicking anywhere on the individual challenge pages. Please don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!
Benefits of STEM Design Challenges:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for approximately 60 – 90 min. Again, I recommend working on STEM Design Challenges in multiple iterations to get the full value.
What do teachers have to say about this resource?
Note: Comments taken from the print version.
“This is my third set (so far). My students love, love the activities. Thank you for sharing the wildly creative, critical thinking challenges.”
“My class loved these activities! Thank you!”
“I loved this bundle! As usual as I have bought them all this year!! And will be buying the summer bundle tomorrow to use in MAY. Can’t say enough about how organized, clear, and concise these STEM projects are. They are truly STEM...as they are not just an experiment but allow the students to engineer and investigate and really think! They also are easy to make more challenging, or leveled. I have done these with 2nd through 5th grade gifted and talented students. LOVE LOVE the videos provided that help make things more clear to me and help me truly visualize and I even come up with more ideas by watching! I buy a lot on TPT...SHE IS ONE OF THE BEST! HIGHLY RECOMMEND Investing IN THESE! You don't have to be a STEM, SCIENCE, or GT teachers, they can be used and are such a valuable use of instructional time for any class!”
“What fun activities to pull out around St.Pat's, which is usually just a couple of days before spring break for me. So even more appreciated that they are fun and easy to use!”
You might also like these resources:
Please check out the preview to see the challenge, and don’t hesitate to contact me with any questions!