This packet of activities and printables is just what you need to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with your favorite little leprechauns! The skill-based pages are Common Core aligned and include five different writing prompts (one for each day of the week)! Four of the pages are based upon the book, Tim O’Toole and the Wee Folk, a wonderful read-aloud by Gerald McDermott. An original non-fiction booklet, All About Ireland, is provided in both teacher-size and mini-size editions for shared reading. Math skills are reinforced with a class game where the children use addition to match each leprechaun to his pot of gold. (This can double as a center activity as well.) Finally, an adorable leprechaun glyph activity includes patterns for the glyph, a graphing page to compile data, and a second page on which students interpret the data. (And, it makes a cute hallway display when completed!) Here is a breakdown of the pages provided in this packet:
• Character Corner: Students recall facts about the main character in a story
• Exploring Events: Children recall details from a story
• Great Gifts: Writing prompt based upon details from the story
• Best of the Book: Students draw a picture and write about their favorite part of a story.
• Guarding the Gold: Writing activity ~ Students write and draw about where they think the leprechaun should hide his gold.
• Leprechaun Loot: Writing activity ~ Children write and draw about what they would do with a pot of gold if they caught a leprechaun
• Luck of the Irish: Writing activity ~ Students draw and write about something that makes them feel lucky and what good luck means to them.
• Search the Shamrock: Children count how many times certain high-frequency words appear within a shamrock shape, and use tallies to show the results.
• St. Patrick’s Day Syllables: Children count and record number of syllables in a variety of St. Patrick’s Day themed words.
• Write the Room: Students search for and write as many words as they can find that begin with each letter in the word, “Ireland.” They use tally marks to show how many words they found for each letter.
• All About Ireland: Original non-fiction book containing facts about Ireland. Teacher size and mini size included for shared reading.
• Counting the Clovers: Students fill in the numbers which are missing from a group of shamrocks numbered 1-20.
• Matching Game: 24 cards are included. Give one card to each child and have them find another student with their match. (Matching leprechauns to pots of gold using addition skills) Can also be used as a traditional matching game in a center or partner activity.
• Leprechaun Glyph: Includes photo of finished glyphs, instructions for using the glyph, and instructions for creating the glyph.
• Graph the Glyphs: One page, three graphs. Children study the class glyphs and graph the results.
• Decipher the Data: Students study the graphs they’ve created to answer questions about the data they have discovered.
If you purchase this unit, PLEASE take a moment to rate the product! It will enable me to improve my work, provide YOU with Teachers Pay Teachers points that can be used for future purchases, and allow other shoppers to make informed selections. Thank you!!
St. Patrick's Day Shenanigans ~ Common Core Aligned Math and Literacy Activities
by Laurie Gibbons
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License