This rubric has been designed to help teachers collect data on what comprehension strategies need to be explicitly taught to students.
This rubric can be used in conjunction with a 'Bump It Up Wall'.
The rubric clearly states learning goals and success criteria that can be used when teaching each comprehension strategy.
How to use this rubric:
- Give your students a pre-test.
- Use the rubric to mark the student's test (one rubric per student).
- Use one colour pen/highlighter when marking the rubric.
- After the teaching cycle (approx. 5 weeks), give students a post test (using the same test that you used for the pre-test).
- Mark the rubric using a different coloured highlighter/pen. By doing this, you will clearly see students who have made growth and students who need further explicit teaching.
NOTE: You only need one rubric per student for the pre and post test.