Welcome to the world of Stagecraft and Sound Design!
In this assignment, students read a short play and then find and create sound effects and music for it. They then orally present their sound design to the class.
This assignment is perfect for you if you help students learn about sound for theatre, film, video gaming, or if you just want your students to do something creative and fun that is worthwhile and requires critical thinking of a dramatic text.
This assignment takes students on an exploration into the art of sound selection, creation, and manipulation. It does NOT cover live sound reinforcement, but I hope to have materials soon for that.
Included are the following:
- A sound design intro and assignment handout
- Examples of a sound plot and marked cue script
- A complete short script in which sound effects play a big role
- A page of resources that you might find helpful as teachers
To use this most effectively, teachers should have . . .
- A basic knowledge of some form of sound design software, such as Audacity (free and easy, by the way)
- A basic knowledge of how sound is run in a theatre production or in film or video games.