PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
This pack was created to provide teachers with a variety of seasonally activities that are also standards based. The activities can be used anytime in the fall and cover multiple standards. A list of seasonal mentor texts are suggested for each of the included standards as well. Many activities are opened ended and can be used with any literature text.
What is included?
· 7 standards based passages with comprehension questions
· 5 activities and games
· 6 crafts
· 6 graphic organizers
What standards are covered?
This pack covers the following Common Core Literature Standards:
• Ask and answer such questions as who, what, where, when, why, and how to demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
• Recount stories, including fables and folktales from diverse cultures, and determine their central message, lesson, or moral.
. Describe how characters in a story respond to major events and challenges.
• Describe how words and phrases (e.g., regular beats, alliteration, rhymes, repeated lines) supply rhythm and meaning in a story, poem, or song.
• Describe the overall structure of a story, including describing how the beginning introduces the story and the ending concludes the action.
• Acknowledge differences in the points of view of characters, including by speaking in a different voice for each character when reading dialogue aloud.
Use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot
• By the end of the year, read and comprehend literature, including stories and poetry, in the grades 2-3 text complexity band proficiently, with scaffolding as needed at the high end of the range.
Please note that no explicit activities are included for RL.2.10 because it is automatically imbedded in all of the standard activities.
For every standard there is a passage for students to answer standard specific questions. Students will also color code the text to show where the answers are found within the text. There is also a graphic organizer included for all the standards (except RL.2.4- poetry) that are open ended and can apply to any text. At least one other craft or activity is also included for each standard. Most activities are available in color or in black and white.