Do you know about the 8 standards for mathematical practice in the Common Core standards? These 8 practices should be used with EVERY math standard you teach (K-12)!
I've created these STUDENT FRIENDLY posters to help elementary students understand what this means!
The 8 mathematical practices are (student friendly language listed first):
- Never Give Up: Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them
- Think About It: Reason abstractly and quantitatively
- Talk About It: Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others
- Model With Math: Model with mathematics
- Use Math Tools: Use appropriate tools strategically
- Work Carefully: Attend to precision
- Use Knowledge: Look for and make use of structure
- Find Patterns: Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning
*A BLACK and WHITE version for those of you needing ink-friendly posters! (You can also shrink them to fit in student notebooks - just print 4 per page)!
Also included by request: Cover poster that says, "We can work like mathematicians by using the math practices!"
Each poster I've included also contains a student friendly "I can" statement.
Want more classroom posters in MATCHING colors? Check out these products!