Are you looking for a great way to present the Star-Spangled Banner to your students? Look no further! This pack will give you everything you need! This unit is perfect for studying our national anthem by Francis Scott Key - use for 9/11, Memorial Day, President's Day, or just because!
In this resource:
- LESSON PLANS - Complete, extremely detailed lesson plans that are editable for your needs. Standards marked for the Georgia GPS music standards for 3rd grade but I also included the 1994 National Music Standards, K-4 and Core Arts Standards, 3rd, for you to switch out. This lesson could easily be modified for a multitude of grade levels by switching out the activities.
- POWERPOINT PRESENTATION - This presentation will walk you through the lesson. The notes in the notes section will guide you along your way. Slide numbers are referenced in the lesson plans.
- 27 Pages of STUDENT ASSESSMENTS, ACTIVITIES, and CENTERS - A variety of ways to assess students is provided; you may pick and choose which items to use with your students.
The PowerPoint guides students through:
- PRE-ASSESSMENT - Students will write down what they already know about the Star-Spangled Banner.
- LISTENING EXAMPLES - Safe-share links to provide students with authentic performances of the Star-Spangled Banner.
- BEFORE YOU SING.... - Students will be guided through how to act and stand appropriately when performing or listening to the national anthem.
- SING ALONGS - Safe-share links and mp3 to provide students with chances to perform the Star-Spangled Banner themselves.
- WHERE YOU CAN HEAR THE STAR-SPANGLED BANNER - Students will explore where the national anthem is played and why it first began playing at many of these events.
- HISTORY BEHIND THE SONG - The students will explore why Francis Scott Key first penned this song. This includes an excellent safe-share link to a video that will enthrall your students!
- THE FLAG - A comparison of the 1915 flag that inspired Francis Scott Key and the modern flag.
- MEANING OF THE WORDS - A detailed look at each phrase of the first verse in the songs as well as exposure to all the verses and how it was originally performed.
- BLANK SLIDE WITH MATCHING BACKGROUND - For your use with your own materials!
STUDENT CENTERED ACTIVITIES, ASSESSMENTS, and CENTERS
- PRE-ASSESSMENT - Students will write down what they already know about the Star Spangled Banner.
- READ ALONGS - Students will read along and answer questions about the history of the Star Spangled Banner.
- VOCABULARY - Students will figure out synonyms to words found in "The Star Spangled Banner."
- REWRITE THE WORDS - Students will put the words of "The Star Spangled Banner" into their own words. (POSSIBLE CENTER!)
- FILL IN THE BLANK - Students will fill in the missing word in the lyrics of "The Star Spangled Banner." (POSSIBLE CENTER!)
- PUT THEM IN ORDER - Students will put the lyrics of "The Star Spangled Banner" in order using sentence strips.
- "HELP! I'M FINISHED EARLY! ACTIVITIES" - Students who finish a previous activity early may complete the wordsearch or "fill in the blank lyrics" crossword puzzle.
- MY FAVORITE PERFORMANCE LISTENING ACTIVITY - Students are given several different listening examples and must decide what their favorite and least favorite performance is. Samples include traditionally "good" and "bad" performances. (POSSIBLE CENTER!)
- MY PERSONAL BANNER - Students will choose colors and symbols to represent their own personal banner (POSSIBLE CENTER!)
- STAR SPANGLED BANNER MINI-BOOK - Students will color and create their own lyric book and/or history and lyric book (POSSIBLE CENTER!)
Please download the preview for a closer look at all the items included in this resource!
You may be interested in this Patriotic Sing Along, a lovely companion to this unit!
Be sure to connect with me to get access to the FREE Resource Library! Be the first to hear about new releases, product updates, and amazing deals and teaching tips!
Like this product? You will also love:
Check out some of my bestsellers
Visit my other store, Pitch Clips, for clip art, digital papers, and other graphic materials!
Follow me! - Stay updated on new products by clicking the green star at the top of the page!
For more ideas and fun:
Visit my website and follow my Blog!
Follow me on Facebook!
Follow me on Twitter!
Follow me on Pinterest!
Follow me on YouTube!
Follow me on Instagram!
Teach music. Love life.
Want to earn FREE products on TpT and make my day?
I love hearing how products help you in the classroom! Don't forget to leave feedback on items you've purchased - you earn 1 TpT credit for every dollar spent on TpT. These really add up!!
Should you have any questions, concerns, or requests, please contact me before leaving feedback at firstname.lastname@example.org. I want to ensure you have a wonderful experience with my products and my store!