State Report • US State Report & Graphic Organizers
This free STATE REPORT
resource provides materials for students to create a State Report Lapbook
Designed with third and fourth graders in mind, this resource includes materials for students to use while conducting research about any state, as well as materials for the presentation of their final writing piece, in a State Report Lapbook.
To complete this project, students:
• use nonfiction text resources to research their chosen/assigned state,
• use a graphic organizer as a prewriting tool to organize their writing,
• write informative text in five paragraphs, including an introduction paragraph, three body paragraphs, and a concluding paragraph, and
• create a lapbook as their final product, showcasing their research notes as well as their final written piece.
This could easily be adapted for use in lower grades, or with less able writers, where the expectation is a single informative paragraph.
Their research AND their final writing piece is creatively presented in a lapbook, with several options for assembly. Photos and clear directions are included.
Popular Lapbook Resources for Structured Writing:
STATE REPORTS Lapbook
HUMAN BODY Lapbook
ALL ABOUT ME Lapbook
END OF THE YEAR Lapbook
• simple, clear directions for lap book assembly
• photos of sample finished product
• templates for all cutouts and foldables:
- Cover pages: title, map drawing, state flag drawing
- Foldable with flaps: Location/Geography/Climate, Attractions & Landmarks, Interesting Facts
- Foldable with flaps: State Bird, State Flower, State Tree, and Famous Person
- Foldable with flap: Questions I Would Like to Ask
- Cutout: About the Researcher
- Cutout: Industry
- Cutout: Biome
- Cutout: Interesting Places
- Cutout: Resources I Used for My Research
- Foldable with flaps: A Timeline of Important Events in ______
• graphic organizer for 5-paragraph informative writing with prompts for topic sentences and details
• lined pages with title for finished writing piece
Several Common Core Standards can be addressed with this project, including:
Write informative/explanatory texts to examine a topic and convey ideas and information clearly.
Introduce a topic and group related information together; include illustrations when useful to aiding comprehension.
Develop the topic with facts, definitions, and details.
Provide a concluding statement or section.
Conduct short research projects that build knowledge about a topic.
Though reading standards are not specifically addressed in this project, the opportunity exists to address several Common Core Reading: Informational Text >> Grade 3
You may also be interested in these Grade 3 CCSS-aligned math products:
Fractions Print & Go Pack: The Grade 3 BUNDLE
Multiplication Print & Go Pack
Christmas Math: Grade 3 Pack
Merry, Merry Multiplication
Thanksgiving Math: Grade 3 Pack
Geometry Game: "I Have...Who Has...?"
Beat the Clock: Math Fact Practice Bundle
To earn TPT credits to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. You can check your credit balance in your TpT Credit Balance
page. Every 100 Credits is worth $5 that you can apply towards future TpT purchases in my store, or any TpT store. I value and appreciate your feedback!
Be the first to know about my new products, discounts, and freebies:
• Look for the green star
next to my store logo and click it to become a follower.
You’ll receive customized email updates about this store, and be the first to know when new products are added.