States of Matter Activity:
My students understand states of matter pretty well. However, they were limited because they did not always have enough examples of states of matter around the classroom. They loved sorting these real-life images and also did not mind a few short answer questions.
This packet includes:
Just added 9/20/2014: Matter Activity or Preassessment
One sheet of informational text
States of matter pictures (3 X 6 = 18 photos)
Short Answer Response Sheet w/ Key
1. Print off informational text for each student.
2. Print off solid, liquid, and gas pictures. (I like to do this activity in pairs. So I make 15 copies.)
3. Laminate so that you can reuse each year. (You may want to laminate the informational text too.)
4. Print off exploration sheets back to back for each student.
5. Read informational text as a class. Emphasize Key Vocabulary.
6. Group students.
7. Have students sort images and fill out exploration sheets.
8. Give students time to review responses independently before turning in. (Some think better alone.)