This is a foldable/cut & paste activity that can be used as an introduction to learning about states of matter or as a study tool for your students.
Warm Up: BrainPop, Jr. - States of Matter or Changing States of Matter
- Construction Paper
Instructions: (as teacher models)
1) Fold your construction paper hot dog style (long ways).
2) Make two evenly spaced cuts towards the crease along ONE side of your paper. You should now have three flaps; one for each state of matter.
3) Cut out the "Matter" label. Glue the label to the middle flap at the top near the crease.
4) Cut out the names of each of the states of matter. Glue one label to each flap in the middle of the flap.
5) Inside of each flap on the uncut side, write these three categories "Molecular Makeup", "Description of State", "How It Changes". Cut the rest of the pieces out, and attach each piece to its corresponding section.
*Note: I used examples of each of the three states of matter as well as models of the molecular makeup of each state of matter using plastic cubes and fuzzy balls.
In order to see the fonts correctly within this document, you will need to download this font:
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License