This is the mega bundle packet of demonstration and lab activities for States of Matter and Physical and Chemical Changes. Many of these activities are carried out with common household ingredients and fun recipes (Ice Cream, Grunt, Toffee, Rock Candy to name a few). Your students will find themselves looking for phase changes all around them!
Activities included in this bundle are:
• Normal States of Matter
• Measuring Physical Changes
• Simple Physical Change – Rock Candy
• Sugar and States of Matter
• Simple Chemical Change – Exploding Film Canisters
• Cabbage Juice Indicator (Color Change = Chemical Change)
• Yeast Producing Gas
* Strange States of Matter
• Ice Cream-in-a-Bag and Grunt
* Strange States of Matter is available singly here: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Strange-States-of-Matter-Investigating-Oobleck-non-Newtonian-Fluid-and-Slime
This bundle also contains a thorough introduction that includes:
• A Description of Applicable Process Skills
• Relevant Ohio Academic Content Standards
• Information about Physical and Chemical Changes
• How to Distinguish Physical and Chemical Changes
• Glossary of selected terms
Activities are complete with times to complete, content standards, instructions, discussion, recipes and tips and tricks for teaching while cooking with your students.
Lessons can be used as a unit, or stand alone.
This one is a treat, and I often used it during the holiday season to reward my students for a job well done.
Check out the nuts and bolts of the included "Toffee" lesson at my blog, http://betterscienceteaching.com/2012/12/14/tis-the-season/.