Greetings phrens: this is a 41 page guide to how to think about the basic measures of central tendency in statistics (mean, median, mode and range) beyond the basic recitation of "here's how to do it."
If you think about it, statistics is one of the most important and relevant area of mathematics that we teach. It is powerful because it allows us to take large amounts of data and and distilling it down into just a few numbers. However, very often these numbers are either irrelevant, non-representative or downright wrong.
In this guide you'll learn about the following (and more!)
• How statistics was used to change the course of the Peloponnesian War.
* How to perform "hands on, minds on" investigations of mean, median and mode.
• Ten important things you MUST know about mean.
• Ten critical things you MUST know about median.
• Ten extremely important things you MUST know about the mode.
• Ten things you should know about the range.
7 chapters, 4 great activities, lots of information and examples of how you can make statistics interesting and relevant in your classroom.