Statistics: Create, Interpret, and Compare Dot Plots:
This product includes a lesson plan with worksheet and answer key aligned with the common core. Review how to create and interpret dot plots from raw data. Students also learn how to compare populations using side-by-side dot plots and summarize their conclusions. The worksheet can be used as an in-class handout or as homework. Questions assess statistical reasoning as well as mechanics.
This product includes:
1) Lesson lecture slides in PDF (annotated with notes) and PowerPoint
2) Lesson lecture handouts in PDF
3) Worksheet in PDF
4) Answer key with and without detailed rubric in PDF
5) A bonus 19-term vocabulary list relevant to Common Core Standards: Summarize, represent, and interpret data on a single count or measurement variable (HSS.ID.A.1, HSS.ID.A.2, and HSS.ID.A.3) in PDF
1) Review how to create and interpret dot plots
2) Learn to compare dot plots between populations
Common Core Standards:
HSS.ID.A.1: Represent data with plots on the real number line (dot plots, histograms, box plots).
About this product:
The materials in this product have been compressed into a *.zip file. Software to unzip the file is necessary to use these materials. The materials are unzipped into seven separate files. Software for reading PDF(*.pdf) or PowerPoint (*.pptx) documents is needed to use the respective file types.
This purchase is to be used by one teacher only for classroom use. These materials may not be shared without purchasing the appropriate number of licenses. These materials may not be uploaded to the internet in any form (classroom websites, personal websites, or network drives, etc.).
The data and plots were simulated and created, respectively, using R Statistical Software, a free open-source software for statistical computing. Please let me know if you are interested in educational products on using R for the Common Core.
Want more resources on related topics? Check these out!:
Statistics: Plots, Shapes of Distributions, Choosing Mean or Median (Free!)
Statistics: Look at your Data! Histograms (Common Core Aligned Lesson; includes the 19-term vocabulary list for HSS.ID.A.1-3)
Statistics: Boxplots from Five-Number Summaries (Common Core Aligned Lesson; includes the 19-term vocabulary list for HSS.ID.A.1-3)
Shapes of Distributions: Statistics for Center and Spread (Common Core Aligned Lesson; includes the 19-term vocabulary list for HSS.ID.A.1-3)
Want to earn TeachersPayTeachers credit for future purchases?
1) Login and visit your ‘My Purchases’ page
2) Click the ‘Provide Feedback’ button.
3) Leave a rating and quick comment.
4) Your feedback will help in creating future products for the teaching community.
Want to be first to learn more about Statistics Education Resources products?
1) Look for the green star near the top of the page by the store name, Statistics Education Resources.
2) Click it to be first to know about my new products, freebies, and discounts!
© Statistics Education Resources, 2017
The National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers are the sole owners and developers of the Common Core State Standards. © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.
This product is the work of Statistics Education Resources. Claims of alignment with the Common Core State Standards are the personal opinion of Statistics Education Resources and do not necessarily reflect the official views of the National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. No association with or endorsement by the National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers is intended or implied.