Statistics through Mondrian Art
is a fun way to practice statistics with a twist. Students work on median, mode, and mean plus much deeper statistical analysis. Art and Mathematics: Statistics with Mondrian is a set of seven activities for students to explore data collection and analysis (graphs, mean, median and mode). It is a great introductory lesson to statistics for 6th graders and beyond.
These activities can be used as a whole class or set up as sequential projects in a math center. Excellent for differentiation and sparking interest into the complexity of mathematics.
Use independently or with:
- Ratio through Mondrian art
- Area, Perimeter and Ratio through Mondrian Art
NOTE: The 2 introductory activities in this guide and in Ratio and Mondrian Art are the same. You can use the designs created in Ratio and Mondrian Art for both ratio work and the statistics in this lesson.
This detailed guide includes:
- Complete teacher’s guide for 7 45-minute lessons
- 19 pages of ready-to-use Student Handouts
- A complete list of materials
- A presentation on the work of Piet Mondrian and accompanying informational text
- Suggested extensions
Skills Developed in this lesson:
- Students will summarize numerical data sets in relation to their context (CCSS.MATH.6.SP.B.)
- Students will report the number of observations in data collection (CCSS.MATH.6.SP.B.5.A.)
- Students will develop quantitative measures to analyze data and describe the pattern (CCSS.MATH.6.SP.B.5.C.)
- Students will understand that statistics can be used to gain information about a population by examining a sample of the population and generalizing about a population based on that sample (CCSS.MATH.7.SP.A.)
Statistics resources include:
- Mean, Median, Mode - Inquiry, Notes and Practice for INB on Mean, Median, Mode
- Mean, Median, Mode and Range Activity - Math Detective
- Mean, Median and Mode Task card Activity for Scavenger Hunts and more
- Interpret Charts with Mean, Median and Mode Task Card Activity
- Statistics: Project based learning for mean, median, and mode
This purchase is for one teacher only.
This resource is not to be shared with colleagues or used by an entire grade level, school, or district without purchasing the proper number of licenses. If you are interested in a site license, please contact me for a quote at email@example.com. This resource may not be uploaded to the internet in any form, including classroom/personal websites or network drives.
Did you know you can earn TPT credits easily?
- Go to your My Purchases page when you login
- Click on the provide feedback button. Quickly rate the product and leave a quick note.
- Each time you give feedback, you earn TPT credit to spend on future purchases.
Benefits of following the store
- Save $$$ - Follow the store and receive updates on new product launches. New products are 20% off in the first 48 hours. To follow simply click on the follow me star at the store. New product launches typically occur once a week.
- Follow the Facebook page
to find out about weekly deals, sales, flash freebies and giveaways.
- Read musings, tips, resources and ideas about teaching, education and education policy on the blog.
Don’t miss out on Math Mondays (all about teaching math).
- No more than 1 email from me directly to my followers per month.
To follow the store and save $$$, click on the follow me star above.