Start the year off right with this 24-question math review and icebreaker activity. This is a great beginning of the year activity to see what skills your 8th graders walk in the door with while also letting them get to know their classmates and feel more comfortable in your classroom. The activity is given in two different formats (two-question sets vs. worksheet model) so you have multiple options on how you use it in your class. Some ideas are:
1. Speed Dating Math. Arrange desks so you have two rows facing each other. Using the set format, have students work on one set with the person across from them. All students would move one desk to the right for the next round.
2. Cut apart the set version and have students work in pairs or small groups to answer the set. For the second set, you could ask students to find other “even” or “odd” set numbers; third, ask students to either double or half the even numbered problem of the set they just finished and find students with the same number.
3. You could also use the cut-up set version and randomly give a card to each student as they enter. They would then find others with their same set number to start the activity.
4. The worksheet format would use less paper if you were giving all students a full set of questions. You could still use the speed dating math setup from #1 and choose how many question you want students to do with the same person before moving desks, or use rotating small groups.
5. As a scavenger hunt or walk-about. Post the set problems randomly around the room and give students one blank answer sheet (included) for “Step Up to 6th Grade Math Review & Icebreaker”.
All forms, blank answer sheet, teacher notes, and an answer key is included.
Be sure to check out these other great resources in my store:
Real Number System Bundle
Unit Rates Proportional Thinking and Models Unit
Math Warmups for Common Core Begin of Year
I'd love to have you follow my TpT Store! Just click on the green star next to my name at the top of this page. When you follow me you get:
*notified of whenever I have a sale
*notified of new and free products