Also included in
- Includes 73 pages! This unit uses popular children's books to teach social emotional skills. This program can easily be incorporated into times you may already have in your schedule like morning meeting, read aloud time, book buddy time, etc. This program can also be used by specialists or in small$7.20$9.00Save $1.80
- Includes 270 pages! This unit uses popular children's books to teach social emotional skills. This program can easily be incorporated into times you may already have in your schedule like morning meeting, read aloud time, book buddy time, etc. This program can also be used by specialists or in small$25.20$31.50Save $6.30
Steps and Stones – Calming Down Strong Feelings - PreK-2 No Prep Lesson & Activities
Steps and Stones: An Ahn’s Anger Story by Gail Silver
This resource uses the book Steps and Stones: An Ahn’s Anger Story to teach about how to calm down strong feelings. When Anh’s friends don’t want to play with him at recess he feels left out. His anger shows up to keep him company. His anger, personified as a red hairy impulsive creature, teaches him some valuable lessons about not getting carried away by his strong emotions. By counting his steps and coordinating them with his breathing Anh is able to slow down and take his anger for a peaceful and magically transformative walk. This book is the perfect way to teach how students can calm down using deep breaths and counting.
Using children's picture books to teach social skills is an excellent way to engage students in topics they need to learn or practice. Many children’s picture books are easily available and often familiar to students. Most students (even older ones) enjoy stories read to them and are more motivated to learn the concepts than through direct teaching. Because stores are fun and pleasurable for many children, being read to feels like a leisure activity during class time. Students also tend to relate the emotions of the characters and can easily provide discussion into how they should think, feel, or act.
Social Emotional Learning Made Easy
This resource includes a 30-45 minute lesson plan and activities which is a perfect way to introduce stories during circle time, social emotional learning time, or even as a sub plan when you want to reinforce concepts already talked about. It is also designed to follow the Second Step® Curriculum. This product has been granted permission from the publisher and is meant to align with the materials of the Second Step® curriculum. It is also perfect for social workers, counselors, or psychologists to reteach the Second Step® Curriculum concepts in small groups or individual sessions. It comes complete with a scripted lesson plan, connections to social emotional/common core standards, lesson teaching guides, and student practice pages.
This Resource Includes 12 Pages:
• Scripted Lesson Plan includes Essentials Questions, Lesson Objectives, I Can Statements, Connection to CCSS and SEL Standards.
• Vocabulary Cards: Strong Feeling, Belly Breathing, and Counting to Calm
• Belly Breathing Teaching Guide
• Ways to Calm Teaching Guide
• Calming Choices Worksheet (2 adapted levels: PreK-K or K-2)
Looking for More? The Teach with Books series contains many other lessons. Buy individual lessons or get the bundle and save up to 20%!
- Feelings in Our Body
- Managing Frustration
- Calming Down Strong Feelings
- Handling Waiting
- Handling Anger
- Managing Disappointment
- Using Words to Say the Problem
- Inviting Others to Play
- Sharing with Friends
- Compromising With Friends
- Assertiveness with Friends
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
• Look for the Follow Button next to my store logo and click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive email updates about this store.
A LITTLE ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Hi! I’m Hiedi, a school psychologist who has worked for 18 years with PreK-12th grade students who struggle with social emotional functioning in school settings. The teachers and students I create products for need fun and creative ways to address social emotional skills in classroom. My resources are all tested and tried so you get the best quality possible. I strive on getting feedback from teachers about how the students like the resources and adapt them to their needs.
If you have any questions about this resource, or if you’d simply like to connect, use the links below.
Thank you for Helping Students Be Their Best!