Steps to Solve Word Problems
This is an anchor chart to help students when solving word problems.
1. Read the problem carefully.
2. Underline the question you need to answer.
3. Circle or highlight important information.
4. Solve the problem using different strategies (pictures, number model)
5. Record your answer in a complete sentence by restating the question.
6. Explain how you solved the problem using math vocabulary.
Step 5 and 6 pertain to open response problems.
This chart comes in different sizes: 1 full page, 2 per page, and 4 per page.