This mini-unit is a great way to introduce or discuss stereotypes with your students, and it is also common-core aligned. The mini-unit includes:
1) A Power Point with images to introduce the concept of stereotypes to students and spur discussion about what stereotypes exist.
2) Poem by Diane Burns and directions for students to reflect on what stereotypes impact them and create a similar poem.
3) Stereotypes in Comedy article discussing specifically whether it is or is not appropriate to use stereotypes in comedy and when we should and should not laugh. Also a great discussion or reflection piece.
4) Directions to write a 4 paragraph paper exploring the appropriateness of stereotypes on comedy.
5) A 50 point rubric for the paper.