Stop Motion Unit: an engaging 3.5 week unit for in-person & distance learning!
When I was planning this unit and looking around on TPT for ideas, I couldn't find anything that had enough of an entire unit. So...I made my own!
My students go crazy over this!! I use it in my STEM class (mixed levels of students ranging from 9th-12th grade), and it worked especially well during COVID with some students virtual and some in-class. It definitely takes critical thinking & creativity.
In this unit, you'll lead students through:
- many examples of stop motion videos
- understanding how music impacts videos
- seeing how complicated stop motion videos can get (by watching "The Making of the Nightmare Before Christmas," a 25-minute video on YouTube)
- learning how to make simple stop motion videos on Google Slides
- the process of storyboarding
- planning their project
- making a final project
For the final project, students create a Stop Motion video that ranges from 45 seconds minimum to 120 seconds maximum. I left the subject matter of the video open, but you could use this in any class and give a specific topic to make a video about. Project rubric included.
In downloading this unit, you'll get a zipped file with a proposed schedule (you can see the entire proposed schedule as the preview file for this product), and all the files mentioned in the schedule (a snapshot of the files can also be seen in the 2nd thumbnail of this product). All files are in Word, outside of one PowerPoint.
Have a blast- your kids will for sure!