A BEST SELLER! Manage student behaviors easily with a Stop-and-Think Flip Stick visual. Use these 16 flip-sticks to encourage students to stop and think about their behavior and prompt them with replacement behaviors or affirm them for their changed behavior.
This method decreases verbal directions from staff to student and increases self-regulation and independence in student’s monitoring their behavior.
Show the student the behavior he is displaying that you don't want and flip the stick to prompt him for the behavior you want or to give an affirmation of the changed behavior.
To use Stop-and-Think Flip Sticks:
1. Print these pages on cardstock.
2. Cut the shapes on the dark lines, except for the common line in the middle.
3. Fold on the middle line, keeping the images on the outside.
4. Tape or glue a craft/popsicle stick between the pieces.
5. Cover the entire paper surfaces with book tape or contact paper to increase the life of the item.
6. Flip the stick to show the student the undesirable behavior and the desired behavior or affirmation of their changed behavior.
7. Keep Flip Sticks nearby in a can for quick and easy use.
Blank templates allow you to customize text for your students. Insert photos or other art pieces that are meaningful to the students. Students use these visuals more if they take part in creating the images and words. It will also teach them how develop and use their own strategies as they grow older.
See also Flip Stick Feedback