Use this mini-unit of poetry analysis close reading task cards and other materials to help students understand and enjoy the poem, “Stopping by Woods On a Snowy Evening” by Robert Frost. This poem is on the the CCSS-ELA text exemplar list for Grades 2-3. The set gives you 20 task cards and all of the student and teacher materials to teach second and third graders to analyze poetry.
Let's face it . . . analyzing poetry is not easy, even for adults! The good news is, I've done the hard work for you and this task card set set lets you teach students to analyze (and enjoy!) the poem, "Stopping by Woods On a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost.
DISTANCE LEARNING NOTE: While this is not a Google Classroom product, you have permission to use this product as a digital product with your students PROVIDED YOU USE THE MATERIALS BEHIND A SECURED OR PASSWORD PROTECTED SITE and materials are NOT posted directly to the Internet for others to view. - HR Updated 4/27/2020 during Covid 19 home learning time.
Your purchase includes the password to my poetry analysis web link collection for these poems. I’ve found online sources for you for each poem to build background knowledge, learn about the poet's life, watch videos, listen to audio links, read the poem online, and more.
• Practicing oral poem reading
• Finding poem rhyming words
• Looking at rhythm and flow
• Determining meaning of phrases
• Determining point of view
• Determining the setting
• Determining the speaker
• Making Inferences
• Making connections
• Visualizing poem details
• Determining the poem’s theme
• Determining the poem’s meaning
• Determining mood or tone
• Giving opinions
• Quoting from the text as evidence
Suggested uses: You can use all 20 lessons or pick and choose the ones you like. I like giving teachers the choices. You can use this as a literacy center activity, independent packet, or use it in your guided reading instruction groups to teach close reading.
The set includes 81 pages of PDF materials:
• 20 poetry task cards (color and BW)
• Student recording worksheets for the 20 task card lessons (BW)
• Student packet journal covers (color and BW)
• All answer keys in detailed language to help you teach students
• “Stopping by Woods On a Snowy Evening” poem teacher summary and poetry analysis summary
• Website Links on www.mrsrenz.com to help you prepare and teach this poem
• Meet the Author Robert Frost Brief Biography - get to know the author (color)
• Template to place a student copy of the poem (poem not included due to copyright but a link to the poem in provided)
• Rhyme Scheme of “Stopping by Woods On a Snowy Evening” poster (color)
• Imagery in the Poem poster
• Teacher overview of the lessons for your teacher binder
• What is Poetry? (color poster)
• How to Read a Poem (color poster)
• CCSS ELA Reading Literature Standards for your teacher binder
Enjoy teaching poetry!
You Might Like these EDITABLE Personal Spelling Dictionaries!
- Primary Grades Spelling Dictionary
- Intermediate Grades Spelling Dictionary
- BUNDLE Grades 1 - 5 Spelling Dictionaries
MORE POETRY RESOURCES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
POETRY ANALYSIS TASK CARDS MINI-UNITS Grades 2-3
POETRY ANALYSIS TASK CARDS MIN-UNITS Grades 4-5