PDF (Acrobat) Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
• Use this project to explore the opposite poles where penguins and polar bears live and to develop students' understandings of fiction and non-fiction stories. Compare the Arctic to the Antarctica and examine the shapes of the continents of the world.
• Use the non-fiction text feature “labels” to draw and label your own penguin.
• Use a graphic organizer to share background knowledge of penguins and polar bears. Learn facts about both animals and fill in comparison charts.
“Prince Meets Slush” is an original story of a penguin relocating to the Arctic where he makes a new friend. This story is told on 16 half-size pages for students to assemble. Use graphic organizers to learn story elements. A chart for a variety of story sequence telling words is included. Retell the story using organizers for beginning, middle and end. A variety of organizers and lined pages included.
“Life in the North” is another original story. Hanta shares about things he knows from stories his mother has told him. Stories about: hunting, the seasons, housing and respect for the animals. Other topics include: global warming, extinction of animals and First Nations art (with an example).
• Use this project to prepare students to write their own penguin and polar bear story adventure.
• Use the project to encourage students to listen to the stories of their past. Students are encouraged to share stories through oral communication, writing and drawing.
Page for “Success Criteria” included.
How to teach and answer keys not included.
Suitable for grade 2 or a 2/3 split class.
If you like this product you may also like:
Inuit Artist: Famous Canadian: Kenojuak Ashevak $1.30 Deal!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Thank-you for your purchase! If you wish to leave feedback, I appreciate it.
I love designing, creating, building, educating!
Copyright © Bonnie Lanigan
Thank you for abiding by the widely accepted codes of professional ethics
while using this product.