Introduction to story analysis in Grades 8 - 12 can be a challenge. Beginning fiction analysis by focusing on a SINGLE STORY ELEMENT is a PROVEN method because. . .
1. A focused and controlled writing topic
means the entire class learns (or relearns) the topic for analysis together
. As a result, this topic (characterization) becomes a TOOL
for the MAIN GOAL: ANALYZE a Story, and Write an Analytical Essay
2. The Unit is fully SCAFFOLDED.
Each step is fully graduated, from information acquisition all the way to full writing responsibility. As a result, students experience greater success and much less confusion.
3. These skills are transferable
to all other forms of fiction and nonfiction analytical writing.
During this 10-Day (Suggested) Lesson, Students will:
• Refresh their knowledge of ONE fiction element, Characterization
• Read the provided story “Story of an Hour” by Kate Chopin
• Complete a series of Introductory and Prewrite activities to ensure their readiness.
• Analyze the story for its direct and indirect characterization
• Write ONE COMPLETE ESSAY that analyzes the characterization in this story.
• Use support and Write/Rewrite Materials as needed.
Everything You Need is Included for an Easy to Teach, Organized Lesson
Please SEE OUR PREVIEW for a Detailed Overview and SAMPLE SHEETS!
If interested in implementing the Writer’s Workshop in your classroom, please see:
The Writer's Workshop: an 8-Day Common Core Unit, Grades 6 - 12
If interested in a short and helpful starter pack on Peer Editing, please see:
The Peer Edit Starter Kit for Any Writing Topic - Grades 6 -12
Our goal is your satisfaction! Let us know if you like this product or if we should add something. And let us know if you need something – we may be able to make it just for you. PerfettoWritingRoom© specializes in all things writing, so drop us a line at ThePerfettoWritingRoom@yahoo.com.