This growing caterpillar is a powerful visual that shows how well your students understand story elements and comprehend a text. Whether you use it during your circle time with the whole class or during your guided reading, it works and it’s so much fun!
Choose colored or black and white version - both are available in this file. Print the parts of the game on cardstock and laminate them. For black and white version, use green paper. Attach a piece of adhesive magnetic tape or Velcro on the back of the head and each circle. You are ready to go!
Build your caterpillar up or down, left to right or vice versa. Make it diagonal, shaped like the letter J, wavy, or spiral! Have fun learning!
• Play this game with your whole class.
• Split your class into several teams and see which team can answer more questions and make the longest caterpillar.
• Use this game for guided reading too and have each child make his/her own caterpillar as they answer your questions.
This resource includes:
• Cover Page
• Description of the game
• 2 printable caterpillar’s heads (in color or black and white)
• 34 printable circles with reading comprehension questions for the caterpillar’s body (in color or black and white).
Please see my other Story Elements and Reading Comprehension Games: Build a Snowman
and Catch a Star in the Jar