I created this book originally for my cousin who has a rare, severe skin condition that leaves her unable to do many of the things she used to do with her three year-old daughter. I wanted to help her daughter in some way so after researching and talking to some friends in the child psych field, I created this book to help my little cousin:
- Understand her parent's illness in an age appropriate way
- Explain why her parent might seem upset sometimes
- Assure her that although some things have changed, she is still loved and cared for.
- Show ways they can still show affection and play together even though her parent is relatively bed-ridden.
- Explain the importance of explaining how she is feeling using emotional vocabulary.
I'm hoping this book can help other children in similar situations who may have a parent who has a chronic illness.