Story starters provide an introductory paragraph students will use as the starting point to create their own short stories. Each set contains ten thought provoking opening scenes. Teachers may assign a certain number of additional paragraphs or a set number of words to finish the short story. They may be tailored to specific writing purposes. They work especially well for narrative and descriptive writing.
These flexible assignments can be used in many different ways. Try them for:
• Creative writing activities
• Formal or informal essay openers
• Take-home writing assignments
• Supplemental activities for budding authors
• Intros to value/judgment discussions
• Back-up activities for substitutes