Tired of the same old spelling quiz? You know…the one that consists of simple dictation with NO imagination. If you are tired of giving the same old quizzes, just think about how your students must feel taking them….week after week. It gets old and repetitive. So, why not mix things up a bit??
These Unique Spelling Quizzes correspond to StoryTown’s Grade 4 Phonics and Spelling lessons. However, even if you are not using the StoryTown Phonics/Spelling lessons, these are great words for a 4th or 3th grader to learn nevertheless.
There are a total of 24 spelling words in this lesson! There are actually TWO versions of the spelling quiz on each paper. What I usually do is make the necessary amount of copies. Then, I cut down the middle of the paper. I place one of the versions on top and the other on the bottom of the stack. This way I am able to pass out the variations without getting mixed up. Even though there are two versions of the quizzes, they are both at the same level; however the words and sentences are in different places. Letting students know that there are numerous forms of quizzes, discourages cheating. The quizzes are easy to print out in PDF format. There are also spelling answers and spelling lists in PDF format as well. Finally, I have included sentences for the dictation portion of the quiz.
I use various styles in my quizzes. Here are some of the examples:
1. DICTATION: Yes…there is dictation. It is spelling after all. I choose around 6-10 of the most difficult words to spell. You can edit it if you would rather choose other words.
2. FILL IN THE BLANKS (choose from the box): There are usually 5-7 spelling words that are typed in the box. The students must understand the meaning of the words and choose the correct spelling word for each blank. Yes…I know what you are thinking…but this is spelling…and you are giving the words away. Yes, the spelling words are typed out, but I try to pick the spelling words that are easy to spell, yet difficult to define, which makes it a bit of a challenge. Sometimes the students do not copy the spelling words correctly even though they are looking at the box directly about the spaces. I don’t give them points if they misspell the words.
3. DRAWING: I find that most students love to draw…even in the 5th grade. Students will need to understand the meaning of the words in order to draw them. Some students take more time than necessary when drawing. I just tell them a simple, yet explicit drawing is needed to earn the point. There is no coloring necessary, but I tell them sometimes a color or two helps with the drawings.
4. FILL IN THE BLANKS (left over words): This part of the spelling quiz requires a bit more thought. Students must reflex on which of the spelling words have yet to be used in the quiz. There are usually 2 or 3 spelling words left over. Students must then take the left over spelling words and place them in the correct blanks.
5. CHALLENGE WORD: There are 5 challenge words listed in each lesson of StoryTown. The definition of one of those 5 challenge spelling words is given in the quiz. Students must understand the definition of the challenge word AND be able to spell the challenge word to get the extra point here.
6. EXTRA CREDIT: After students finish the quiz, it’s good to have them end on a positive note. I like to give them the chance to earn an easy extra point. I tell students to read the extra credit below then turn the paper over for the drawing. The drawing focuses on the story from the Lesson 1: Rope Burn. The students must find the way to USE ONE spelling word from Lesson 1 in their drawing. I make sure to tell students not to start with the drawing. The extra credit comes AFTER students finish their quiz.
*If you would like me to post more Unique Spelling Quizzes (for any grade level), please send me an e-mail at email@example.com and let me know. :)
If you liked this product, please check out the other Unique Spelling Quizzes I have designed (the links are below).
StoryTown Grade 5 – Unique Spelling Quizzes w/ Answers – Lesson #1 - FREE
StoryTown Grade 5 – Unique, Editable Spelling Quizzes w/ Answers – Lessons #1-5
Lessons #16-20 - Unique Spelling Quizzes Grade 5 w/answers
Lessons #1-30 - Unique Spelling Quizzes Grade 6 w/answers
Lessons #1-5 - Unique Spelling Quizzes Grade 6 w/answers
Lessons #6-10 - Unique Spelling Quizzes Grade 6 w/answers
Lessons #11-15 - Unique Spelling Quizzes Grade 6 w/answers
Lessons #16-20 - Unique Spelling Quizzes Grade 6 w/answers
Lessons #21-25 - Unique Spelling Quizzes Grade 6 w/answers
Lessons #26-30 - Unique Spelling Quizzes Grade 6 w/answers