Tired of the same old spelling quiz? You know...the one that consists of simple dictation with NO imagination. If you're tired of giving the same old quizzes, just think about how your students must feel taking them....week after week. It gets old and repetitive. So, why not mix things up a bit??
These Unique Spelling Quizzes correspond to StoryTown's Grade 6 Phonics & Spelling lessons. However, even if you are not using the StoryTown Phonics/Spelling lessons, these are great words for a 6th or 5th grader to learn nevertheless.
Spelling Quiz Lesson #5: REVIEW - Words with Short Vowels, Words with Long Vowels and Vowel Digraphs, Words with Vowel Variants and Diphthongs, Words with Inflections -ed, -ing
Lesson #5 spelling words: circuit, against, cabinet, feather, system, sneeze, proclaim, grief, approach, arcade, aglow, breathe, pound, applaud, turquoise, awkward, delaying, employed, replied, preparing
*First of all, there are TWO versions of the spelling quiz on each paper. So, what I usually do is make the necessary amount of copies. Then, I cut down the middle of the paper. I place one of the versions on top and the other on the bottom of the stack. This way I am able to pass out the variations without getting mixed up. Even though there are two versions of the quizzes, they are both at the same level; however the words are in different spaces. Letting students know that there are numerous forms of quizzes, discourages cheating. The quizzes are in WORD and PDF formats. They include the fonts I use...which you need to make sure you install to view the WORD documents correctly. The WORD documents may be edited. There are also spelling answers WORD & PDF documents for you to print out. This makes it easy to grade the spelling quizzes. I have also included the list of spelling words from lesson #5 in a WORD document. This list has each spelling word in lesson #5 used in a sentence. This list is good to print out if you don't want to think up a sentence for the DICTATION part of the quiz.
Here's how I have laid out the design for the spelling quizzes in lesson #5:
1. DICTATION: Yes...there is dictation. It is spelling after all. In lesson #5 I have selected 6 of the more difficult words to spell (from the list).
2. FILL IN THE BLANKS (choose from the box): There are 6 spelling words that are typed in the box. The students must understand the meaning of the words and choose the correct spelling word for each blank. Yes...I know what you are thinking...but this is spelling...and you are giving the words away. Yes, the spelling words are typed out, but I try to pick the spelling words that are easy to spell, yet difficult to define, which makes it a bit of a challenge.
2A. UNSCRAMBLE & FILL IN THE BLANKS CHALLENGE (choose from the box): We all have students that like or need a challenge. I have included a variation of the quizzes that requires students to first, unscramble the spelling words in the box and then, fill in the blanks with the best spelling word.
3. CIRCLE THE CORRECT SPELLING WORD: I have listed 6 spelling words in this section. Students must choose the correctly spelled spelling word (out of 3 other incorrectly spelled words that are similar).
4. DEFINE: I have picked a couple of spelling words. Students must define these two words in order to earn the points in this section.
5. CHALLENGE WORD: There are 5 challenge words listed in each lesson of StoryTown. Having said that, there are a total of 20 challenge words from lessons 1-4. I have picked a ONE out of those 20 that students must recognize by definition and spell correctly in order to earn the extra challenge point.
6. EXTRA CREDIT: After students finish the quiz, it's good to have them end on a positive note. I like to give them the chance to earn an easy extra point. I tell students to read the extra credit below then turn the paper over for the drawing. The drawing focuses on the story from the lesson #5: Show Time. The students must find the way to USE ONE spelling word from Lesson #5 in their drawing. I make sure to tell students not to start with the drawing. The extra credit comes AFTER students finish their quiz.
StoryTown Grade 6 - Unique Spelling Quizzes w/ Answers - Lesson #1
StoryTown Grade 6 - Unique Spelling Quizzes w/ Answers - Lesson #2
StoryTown Grade 6 - Unique Spelling Quizzes w/ Answers - Lesson #3
StoryTown Grade 6 - Unique Spelling Quizzes w/ Answers - Lesson #4
*If you would like me to post more Unique Spelling Quizzes (for any grade level), please send me an e-mail at email@example.com and let me know. :)