Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
2.9 MB | 30 pages, 13 slides, 2 videos pages
Why tell stories? This may be exactly what your students think when you introduce this unit, but through this 2 week storytelling unit, you will teach your students the value in telling stories, how to effectively tell stories in an engaging way, experience stories through professional storytellers, and become closer as a whole class through a shared experience of storytelling.
In this unit, we will follow the tips and guidelines from The Moth, a live storytelling experience where amature and professional storytellers perform to understand the world a little bit better. Students will get the chance to create their own Moth experience right in your classroom!
This unit was used with my beginning drama classes towards the beginning of the year to get to know each other and to give students their first experience in solo in front of the class. In telling a story they were already familiar with and no script to memorize, the unit began to make students comfortable with public speaking. This unit would also be fantastic in a public speaking class or English class as you lead up to the speech proficiency.
In the two week unit, you will guide your students through fun and engaging activities with storytelling through multimedia experiences and performance. This unit is filled with fun yet low-risk drama games that will make every student feel comfortable. The unit offers multiple points for reflection of their own work and the work of their peers. All will culminate in a final project where students will tell a story from their past in front of the class much in the way a live Moth performance is held.
I work primarily out of Google Docs and .pdf files.
In this bundle you will find:
* A day to day calendar mapping out the activities for the day (4 pages .pdf)
* An introductory presentation on storytelling Google Slide and coordinating worksheet on the Elements of Good Storytelling (13 slides, 1 page)
* A detailed and thorough guide to all classroom activities including suggestions for classroom management and print-and-go prompts for each of the activities requiring them. (14 pages .pdf)
* An Actor’s Notebook worksheet for reflection (2 pages)
* A Worksheet guide to exploring The Moth’s website with built in hyperlinks. (3 page .pdf and Google Doc)
* Mapping Your Neighborhood multimedia worksheet for brainstorming student’s story ideas AND example for students. (1 page each)
* A grading rubric for the final performances (1 page)
* A grading worksheet for rehearsal grading (2 pages)
* A Peer Preview worksheet for students to give and take notes (2 pages)
* Reviewed and vetted videos to coordinate with the unit
In total, this unit will bring you over 30 PAGES of content, 13 SLIDES of presentational material, 2 original instructional VIDEOS, 6 DRAMA GAMES, and more fun in your drama classroom!
For you, the busy drama teacher, all you have to do is print and teach! Everything is now prepped for you! Have fun and enjoy storytelling through this unit. Break a leg!