Ready to flip your poetry unit UPSIDE DOWN? No boring lectures. No canned slideshows. Just authentic student-centered dialogue and poetry explication that organically gets increasingly more challenging as your classes become familiar with basic poetry terms and push themselves and one another into deeper analysis and closer reading of ANY poem that you can throw at them!
Click here to see a sample video trailer for this Upside Down-inspired poetry activity!
Race the clock! Escape the Demogorgon! And grab all the Eggo waffles you can find as your class plunges deep into the world of The Upside Down where STUDENT-CENTERED POETRY EXPLORATION saves your classroom from the dreaded "Low Energy Lyrical Monster" that far too often terrorizes even the most well-intended poetry discussions.
This digital download walks you through how to adapt this activity for any poet, poem, or poetry collection, and includes everything you'll need to make this high-energy activity jump to life in your classroom. Specifics:
• Walk-through wizard on how to quickly create instant unit enthusiasm by making your very own "Stranger Things" themed unit introduction credits like the sample linked above.
• 13 slide Google Slides presentation with fully themed student instructions and all printables including game tokens and printable player cards for Dustin, Will, Lucas, Mike, Eleven and The Demogorgon.
• Printable handout of 32 important poetry terms with definitions and examples.
• Fully customizable game tokens featuring 32 poetry terms and techniques.
• Four different Dungeons & Dragons-inspired dungeon maps of "The Upside Down" , complete with embedded timers for infinite customization and re-use.
This resource comes with a comprehensive 4-page lesson planning walk-through guide (with sample dialogue prompts) for how to adapt this Stranger Things inspired classroom for any plug-and-play poetry unit, complete with SEVEN different gameplay variants ranging from team-based play to point-based scoring variants and head-to-head competitions between individual students, and in-class scaffolding strategies. And the best part -- this activity is infinitely re-usable for student-centered exploration and analysis of ANY poem, poet, or unit of poetry.
Transform your classroom into a timed race through The Upside Down! Use collaboration and friendly competition to spark genuine curiosity and wonder in a high-energy student-centered environment. And get your students genuinely excited to learn more about any poem or poet you can throw their way.
Lots of laughs, loads of learning, and tons of fun that transforms students into classroom heroes starring in their very own classroom action series. Flip the script on the Death By PowerPoint Demogorgon and let your students shine!
Prefer a different theme? The gameplay of this activity is functionally identical to each of these other products available in my TPT store:
Hungry Hungry HIPPOETRY: The Frantic Poetry Munching Game!
Pac Man Poetry: A Fast-Paced Game of Poetry Love at First Bite!
Stranger Things "Upside Down" Poetry Unit Activity