This book is a wonderful way to incorporate social emotional learning into your classrooms. The themes in this book center around thoughtfulness, friendship, and inclusion- and the fun pets are a great addition too! This resource is meant to touch upon each of those areas, and in this document, you will find differentiated opportunities (2 levels). There are pages for students who are emergent writers who may be better at expressing themselves by drawing pictures, as well as opportunities for writers to get their thoughts down!
Included you will find:
1. Explore the front and back covers. What do they notice.
2. Look at the front cover. What time of year is it? How do you know?
3. Explore the word "strictly"
1. Feeling like we don't fit in: making connections (2 levels)
2. Thoughtfulness: how can we show people that we are thoughtful? (2 levels).
3. The boy's emotions throughout the story. Use evidence from the book.
4. Feeling left out : 2 levels
5. Examining the boy's new club: 2 levels
6. What does the sign "all are welcome" mean? 2 levels
1. What do you think happens next in the story? 2 levels
2. If you could have any pet in the world worksheet
3. Go back in the story and find 3 ways friends help each other.