This Next Generation Science Unit focusing on Structure, Function, and Information Processing also addresses Common Core reading and writing skills for informative/explanatory reading and writing. The unit covers the following NGSS standards:
1 - LS1 -1 Use materials to design a solution to a human problem by mimicking how plants and/or animals use their external parts to help them survive, grow, and meet their needs.
1 - LS1 -2 Read text and use media to determine patterns in behavior of parents and offspring that help offspring to survive.
1 – LS3 -1 Make observations to conduct and evidence based account that young plants and animals are like, but not exactly like, their parents.
The unit contains a research packet for 6 animals that include QR Codes for online resources, pictures, note taking papers, and a 2 page article that addresses all the points needed for students to complete a research project. The unit also includes a scaffolded research project packet and publishing pages that are differentiated. In addition, there are 4 Enrichment projects, visuals and design/plan pages to help students understand animal adaptations and biomimicry.
The Unit includes:
• Research Information Packets (with QR Codes) for 6 animals: koala, echidna, shark, kangaroo, kookaburra, and dingo.
• Research Project Guide (differentiated) with lots of guided note taking pages
• Vocabulary cards (half-page just words and full –page with visuals)
• Learning Targets (I can statements)
• Special pages on biomimicry and animal adaptations
• Investigation on using biomimicry to help solve a human problem
* 2 investigations on how animal adaptations help animals in their environments (blubber investigation and eyelash investigation)
• 4 Enrichment projects to engage learners and provide differentiation: Big Book masters, poetry, iMovie, Jump into the Animal
* Oral presentation feedback form
Also check out my NGSS unit on plants:
Plants –NGSS Structure, Function, and Information Processing
How to follow me:
Just click on the green star under my name. That way you can get information on new freebies and products first!
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button. Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. Each time you give feedback, TPT gives you feedback credits that you use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.