Also included in
- This NGSS Bundle for 4th grade will provide your students with a year's worth of engaging science lessons, readings, worksheets, slideshows, labs, games, and more! Fourth-grade students will love these NGSS aligned activities! You Save 20% by purchasing them here together. These resources are specifPrice $101.65Original Price $112.94Save $11.29
- This fourth-grade NGSS science bundle includes all of my resources for 4th-grade NGSS. It also includes fourth-grade resources for reading informational text. Teachers and school districts will love this Huge fourth-grade NGSS Bundle with a wide variety of labs, centers, nonfiction articles, and morPrice $147.31Original Price $184.14Save $36.83
- Fourth Grade Utah SEEd Bundle This resource bundles all my 4th-grade resources for Utah SEEd into one package with a discount of 20%. You save time by purchasing this from someone who understands Utah SEEd. Would you like to know more about Utah SEEd? This huge bundle includes a year’s worth of rPrice $106.39Original Price $130.99Save $24.60
- This bundle includes my online learning online unit for structure and function and my printable unit for structure and function. The two units address the same standards and topics but they have different activities. This resource is for someone that needs materials for both online teaching and F2Price $20.80Original Price $24.00Save $3.20
- This Bundle for Utah SEEd 4th grade includes science resources for each strand and standard. Each unit included addresses specific Utah SEEd standards for 4th grade. This bundle also includes an assessment that can be used at the end of each strand. Save 20% by purchasing this as a bundle. Save lotsPrice $55.20Original Price $67.00Save $11.80
- NGSS Fourth Grade Bundle: This bundle covers all the standards for NGSS 4th grade for the entire year. If you teach fourth grade in an NGSS state, you need this bundle! Do you want an NGSS 4th Grade Science Bundle from someone who really understands NGSS? My resources use phenomena to engage studentPrice $79.56Original Price $85.40Save $5.84
- This is a custom bundle for the Arizona Science Standards for 3rd Grade. This resource covers the standards for Arizona Science 3rd Grade. Arizona has a specific set of standards that align with the resources I have included. Each standard is addressed by one or more resources. Based on the ArizonaPrice $37.48Original Price $46.85Save $9.37
Do you need to teach Animal and Plant adaptations, structure and function? Students will learn that animal adaptations and plant adaptations include internal and external structures and that they each structure serves a specific function. They will also learn about animal adaptations and plant adaptations including behavioral adaptations in animals. Students will be able to make a simple model (graphic organizer for this Included) to describe how animals receive information through their senses, process the information in their brain and they are able to respond to it. This complete unit fully addresses the Life Science Standards for 4th grade NGSS. This is a large unit with lots of activities.
This is my most popular resource!
This unit is based on the Disciplinary Core Idea: Molecules to Organisms: Structure and Processes, LS1.A Structure and Function
This resource includes:
- three informative slideshow presentations on the following topics:
- Structure and Function in Animals and Plants
- How Animals Process Information
- Parts of a Flower and Pollination
- a 3-page nonfiction article on elephants describing their external and internal structures and their function
- hands-on lab to dissect a flower
- five lessons
- lab pages
- interactive notebook inserts
- graphic organizers
- a layered book
- QR code research
- a quiz
- answer keys
- this resource starts and ends with phenomena
This resource includes a hands-on lab with clear directions on how to dissect a flower, label the parts, and understand the function of each part. (All you need to provide is one flower for each group of students)
Students will also have the opportunity to use QR codes for some independent research on adaptations. Clickable links are provided if you do not have access to QR codes.
This unit is printable. If you are looking for an online unit on the same topic please seeStructure and Function Online Unit NGSS 4-LS1-1, NGSS 4-LS1-1 and Utah SEEd
This unit includes a true and false quiz for assessment.
The following NGSS standards are addressed:
NGSS 4-LS1-1. Construct an argument that plants and animals have internal and external structures that function to support survival, growth, behavior, and reproduction.
NGSS 4-LS1-2. Use a model to describe that animals receive different types of information through their senses, process the information in their brain, and respond to the information in different ways.
The 4-LS1-2. Is especially difficult to address and it is fully met through the activities in this unit.
For NGSS 4th Grade
Next Generation Science Standards
Standard 4.1.1 Construct an explanation from the evidence that plants and animals have internal and external s that to support survival, growth, behavior, and reproduction. Emphasize how structures support an organism’s survival in its environment and how internal and external structures of plants and animals vary within the same and across multiple Utah environments. Examples of structures could include thorns on a stem to prevent predation or gills on a fish to allow it to breathe underwater. (LS1.A)
Standard 4.1.2 Develop and use a model of a to describe how animals receive different types of information from their environment through their senses, process the information in their brain, and respond to the information. Emphasize how animals are able to use their perceptions and memories to guide their actions. Examples could include models that explain how animals sense and then respond to different aspects of their environment such as sounds, temperature, or smell. (LS1.D)
By Lynda R. Williams
If you have questions about my resources please contact me firstname.lastname@example.org
* My resources are secure and not editable for copyright reasons.
These resources are created by Lynda R. Williams at Teaching Science
Follow me and get news of my new resources. Each new resource is discounted by 50% for the first 24 hours!
See more about teaching structure and function in fourth grade.
Please see some of my other resources: