Get your students thinking critically and creatively about poetry, and specifically the role of structural techniques, with this lesson plan.
- Warm-up with a dramatic reading of a poetic interpretation of "Little Red Riding Hood"
- Analyze rhyme scheme and meter, then apply what they hear to new lines
- Apply the same skills in an analysis of a modern sonnet about love, and Shakespeare's "Sonnet 73," also looking for how other vocabulary terms work in poems. Printable list is included with terms such as quatrain and iamb.
- Choose from two creative writing prompts.
- Guide critical thinking with careful questions
- Facilitate activities with clear, step-by-step instructions
- Model vocabulary-rich and evidence-driven analysis with answers to all prompts
- Lead productive and unique creative writing with a sonnet organizer