Get your students thinking critically and creatively about poetry, and specifically the role of structural techniques, with this lesson plan.
- Warm-up by creating a memory jar dedicated to poetry
- Revisit their understanding of imagery with "First Poem for You" by Kim Addonizio
- Apply the same skills and expand to investigate structure by looking at several haiku by Gowri Koneswaran.
- Develop original haiku.
- Guide critical thinking with careful questions
- Facilitate activities with clear, step-by-step instructions
- Model vocabulary-rich and evidence-driven analysis with answers to all prompts
- Lead productive and unique creative writing.
- Encourage authentic reflection on the learning process