Compressed Zip File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing. How to unzip files.
0.66 MB | 19 pages
Get your students thinking critically and creatively about poetry, and specifically the role of structural techniques, with this lesson plan.
- Warm-up with a short exercise to review vocabulary related to the structure of poetry (printable student list included)
- Analyze how structural techniques work to enhance the meaning of "Trees" by Joyce Kilmer
- Apply the same skills in an analysis of "The Harvesting"
- Complete a creative writing exercise to develop an 'unwritten' poem
- Analyze Nikki Giovanni's "Mothers" to investigate how intentionally 'breaking the rules' of poetry can also add to meaning
- Guide critical thinking with careful questions
- Facilitate activities with clear, step-by-step instructions
- Model vocabulary-rich and evidence-driven analysis with answers to all prompts
- Lead productive and unique creative writing with an interactive presentation