Get your students thinking critically and creatively about poetry, and specifically how it is structured, with this collection of lesson plans based on the Structure of poetry packet (included in your download).
• Analyze professional poems about a variety of topics, and that highlight a variety of techniques
• Practice creative writing to expand their thinking about, and appreciation for, well-written literature
• Model their own original poems after experts, following step-by-step instructions to craft interesting, fun and technique-driven poetry
• Learn and use new vocabulary about techniques to develop poetic structure
• Have everything you need to start a Common Core-aligned mini-unit today!
• Guide critical thinking with careful questions, scaffolded activities, and differentiated activities
• Move students towards more complex understanding of poetic structure and independent use of a variety of writing techniques
The lessons focus on poems that students can read quickly, and process within one lesson. However, the lesson collection serves as an excellent preview to reading Shakespearean text, as well, because students learn the vocabulary and skills to decode meaning and identify writer’s choices and techniques.