Privacy Note: This resource can be used offline and information entered in the app is only stored on the local computer, NOT sent to any server.
☞Selecting a student to better engage a class or to get feedback is a common teacher task, but it is one that can cause a lot of frustration for students. Teachers also are often uneasy about their selection, not wanting students to feel that they are unfairly targeting someone or vise versa, that they are neglecting certain learners.
Student Selector aims to gamify this classroom interaction by asking the computer to `randomly` select a student from a class list. In this way, it is not the teacher who directly calls upon a learner, but an impartial third-party.
The tool randomizes the selection in two ways:
- by `shuffling` the list of student names each time the selection button is pressed
- by pulling a random number of student names from the top of the shuffled list, the last name being the selected student
- save your list locally to reuse
- import lists from Google Sheets
- when loading a previous list, you can mark students as absent
- access an online version of the app
- mobile friendly design and functionality
**To get started, open the 'thanks.html' file.
A single license allows one instructor to use the Student Selector with an unlimited number of classes and students. Please purchase a multiple-user license to share with colleagues.