Give your students the chance to rate themselves as a writer! This is a great checklist for the beginning of the year. It can be used to judge areas that your students need direct instruction, where you can have some small group interventions, or just to have them reflect on their own writing habits.
I've used this to:
- compare the student's view of his/her understanding of writing to my own
- get to know my students at the beginning of the year
- discuss during writing conferences
- have my students set writing goals
- identify areas for targeted mini-lessons
- reflect on progress/growth at the end of the year
* Word Document that you can edit as needed.