ENe-2A / EN1-2A
ENe-3A / EN1-3A
ENe-5A / EN1-5A
ENe-6B / EN1-6B
ENe-7B / EN1-7B
By using explicit, challenging and achievable learning goals for writing, students are able to identify, monitor and self reflect on their own work.
Within this package are 10 explicit writing goals. These goals have been designed with the NSW English Syllabus and Literacy Continuum in mind. Teachers have the flexibility on a variety of ways to implement these writing goals into their classroom. Writing conferences are a must so that students understand why their writing needs improvement. Teachers are then able to provide timely feedback and discuss future learning targets to improve writing. This approach supports Visible learning.
Some ideas include
• Classroom display with names to indicate who is focusing on what target
• Individual bookmarks with one specific target to be kept in students writing book
• Individual target to be attached to strip with the words ‘my writing goal’ or ‘I am learning to’.
• Target with traffic light system for students to reflect on their learning (red – didn’t reach the target; yellow sometimes target is evident; green target was achieved). These are kept in the students table for easy viewing or at the beginning of their writing book.
• Bookmark with all targets included. Use whiteboard or paperclip to indicate which goal is to be focused upon
Easy preparation – select a format that suits you and your learners.
Print and laminate.
See other Writing Targets for further ideas to enhance writing.