This file is Chapter 4 – Reading & Note-Taking from my 9 week Study Skills Course Curriculum – you can purchase the entire Study Skills Course Curriculum of 77 pages, HERE
I first developed my series of study skill instruction when I was asked by my administrator to teach a 9 week Study Skills course to 6th graders. I taught my course for 3 years. Two of my colleagues also taught the course, using this curriculum that I developed.
It would be very easy to simply print off this file, hand it to students and ask them to complete it. And they probably would, very quickly even. But this would not be very beneficial to the majority of students.
✓This file is most effective when students are guided through it by the teacher.
This file includes material for discussion and activities in the following areas:
* Importance of notes.
* Tips for taking organized notes.
* Teach students how to use a simplified form of Cornell note-taking.
* What is pre-reading and how can it make reading easier.
* A reading passage about Mount St. Helens for note-taking practice.
* Connecting note-taking and pre-reading strategies to textbooks.
Includes: One file in printer friendly format for distribution to students, one printer friendly file reading passage for students, and one file for the teacher on teaching study skills.