This set of activities would be perfect for your sub plans-just in cases you ever get sick! Here is a great set of materials to complement the story Miss Bindergarten Stays Home From Kindergarten by Joseph Slate. (You will need to provide your own copy of the book.) Book Talk: Miss Bindergarten has the flu and must stay home for several days. Her sub is Mr. Tusky, and with a little help from the children, they manage quite well. However, some of the children become sick also. There are very sweet illustrations showing how the children are recovering at home. Miss Bindergarten returns, but now Mr. Tusky is sick!
These projects are especially useful for establishing procedures and routines. They type of tasks included here are found in many other activities the children will be required to do throughout the year. Most importantly, it establishes connections to a memorable story!
Here are some of the special features of this unit:
• The activities are appropriate for children who are not yet reading as well as those who can.
• Easy Prep-You need provide only the book and a strip of paper for the story retelling headband.
• You can do these activities over several days or even do all of them in one day of school-they are that easy to implement!
The 6 activities in this unit are:
• Build-A-Word Book with the focus word “her”
• Foldable Booklet
• Category Sort
• Pictures that start like “sick”
• Story Shapes
• Story Retelling Headband
Check out my category listings "Back to School" and "Miss Bindergarten" to find other great units to use throughout the school year!