Dread writing sub plans? Wish your class could have a productive day with their sub? We have the answer: Two full days of ready-to-go lesson plans that will work at any time of the year!
With our vocabulary Sub Tubs lesson plans, your children will explore academic vocabulary using activities that incorporate reading, writing, math, and art. (The grade 6 bundle is for a sixth grade class that follows an elementary schedule--students stay with one teacher for all subjects).
Our lessons are unlike anything on the market. We view time with a sub as a chance to provide academic vocabulary enrichment for your class. The words students study were identified by leading researchers as key for success across subjects and grade-levels (tier 2 words).
These lessons were tested by veteran teachers as well as substitute teachers, in intermediate and primary classrooms. Teachers loved the activities. They found them engaging and easy to follow. Please see subtubs.com if you want to read our testimonials.
To make it easy for preparing multiple days of emergency lesson plans, each day’s plan is identified by one of the words the children explore. In Timeline, the words are: timeline, similar, synonym, and horizontal. In Location, they are: location, vertical, multiple, and difference.
Our plans are ready-to-go and a snap to assemble because they include everything:
1. A letter to the sub explaining the day’s activities with space for additional notes.
2. Teacher Tips with suggestions for classroom management. Often subs are new teachers and lack the confidence that comes with experience. We find that they really appreciate this extra support.
3. A short first activity called, “Let’s Get Acquainted” that allows the sub and children to spend a few minutes getting to know each other. This important feature allows the class to start the day in a positive way, and gives the sub time to build a connection with the class.
4. Quick Assembly for the teacher. The only thing you need to do is make one copy of the lesson plans, select a fiction and non-fiction read aloud, include writing paper, and make student copies of the worksheets. The lesson plans and worksheets are labeled with page numbers that make it easy to assemble!
5. Extension ideas for early finishers. We differentiate the activities by including open-ended worksheets (more like graphic organizers), as well as specific ideas for extending lessons called, “Teacher Tips”.
6. More than enough work for one day. You will find an extra last lesson with three choices for additional activities. There is enough work to keep most classes busy for over 8 hours!
7. Easy to read for the sub. Each day is organized into six easy to follow lessons. The teaching directions are explained in short bulleted steps, and the format is the same for all lessons. The sub simply finishes one activity and then begins the next. This allows the sub to spend her time teaching, rather than trying to figure out the plans. The sequential format also allows the lessons to work with ALL schedules.
If you would like to read each specific lesson objective, or see samples for your grade level, please visit my website at http://subtubs.com/grade-level-sample/ .
Important directions for preparing your Vocabulary Sub Tubs® lesson plans (Simple, I promise!)
1. MAKE COPIES
The first 7 pages of the PDF are the easy-to-read lesson plans for the substitute--make one copy of each page
The last 7 pages of the PDF are the student worksheets--make a class set of each page (back to back is fine)
2. ADDITIONAL MATERIALS REQUIRED
A short non-fiction read aloud book
A short fiction read aloud book
** The plans were written to work with ANY read alouds that
are appropriate for your grade.
Two class sets of writing paper
3. ASSEMBLE IN A FILE FOLDER
You can put the lesson plans out to use immediately, or store them in a Sub Tub for future absences. Just be sure to tell your class where you keep your sub tub, in case the sub can't find them.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions or suggestions. I value your input and appreciate your feedback!
May your sub days be stress-free and easy,