This packet covers the concept of subject-verb agreement. It deals with the basic rules of matching singular subjects with singular verbs and plural subjects with plural verb forms. Special case situations are identified and tips for proper usage are included. Common errors in conversational/informal usage are noted. Students at both the junior high and high school levels would benefit from this instruction.
The following are included:
• Tips for teaching subject-verb agreement
• Student handout: Making Subjects and Verbs Agree
What is subject-verb agreement?
Identifying subjects in sentences
Tricks for isolating subjects of sentences
Prepositional phrases, appositives (renames), here and there
Special cases: commands, questions, compound subjects,
words ending in the letter s, indefinite pronouns
• Say this, not that
• Subject-verb agreement practice sheet
• Practice sheet answer key
• Test answer key
• Proofreading activity with corrections