As much as we may need that day off, whether it's to visit family, recover from an illness, or take your daughter to her cheerleading competition, it can make us nervous to leave our classroom in the hands of someone else!
Since I have worked as a sub, I know how important it can be to have some of this information...and how stressful it is to not know something important when the class is patiently (or not so patiently) waiting for you to figure it out!
This packet is intended to help you, as a teacher, provide the most and best information for your sub in an easy to navigate way. It includes:
- A simple, signable, Welcome/Thank you letter
- A class roster for taking attendance and if necessary, noting which students have been particularly helpful or disruptive throughout the day
- A Help Me! page, with a place to list reliable students, other teachers in your grade, and important school extensions (principal, front office, nurse, etc) that the sub can use if he/she needs help!
- A medical needs page, letting the sub know that you have students with specific medical issues, and what actions may be required by them.
- A page for writing out the class schedule (even letting them know when they usually take bathroom breaks can be helpful!)
- A graph page for seating charts. This is only recommended if you only have one class all day, and can keep the chart up-to-date! Nothing like having outdated materials to sort through!
- And lastly, a page for classroom rules. Obviously, you can't list everything, but if you want to list the more important things like "don't let them use the restroom during instruction time unless it's an emergency" and "no one is allowed to use the iPads unless the technology teacher is there to help them," that can be immensely helpful!
I hope that this helps you (and your subs!) on those days when you just can't be there!
If you download this product and feel like there should be more pages, or have any other suggestions, please let me know!
And keep an eye out for upcoming SUB PLANS! A day out can be an excellent day for review, so I will be coming out with several days of emergency sub plans for grades K-5 in the coming weeks.
Thanks so much!