Increasing subtraction fact fluency is always a challenge for teachers and I don't know about you, but flash cards get lost in my room. Instead of using flash cards, I have started using fact tents because:
* There is NO cutting. Just print and fold = done!
* There are 50 equations per page (plus 50 answers per page).
* One page is equivalent to 50 flash cards.
* You won't find stray flash cards in your room.
* Did I mention there is NO cutting involved?!!!!?
* Students can easily track how many answers they finished in a certain amount of time because the equations are numbered 1-50.
* These fact tents make the perfect addition to your fact station.
How do they work?
Fold the paper on the line so partners that are facing each other can see one side each. One partner will solve the equations for one minute while the other partner checks their answers. They should answer from left to right (since the problems are numbered from 1-50). If they miss any answers, their partner is to respond, “try again.” Partners may help each other when they are stuck. When the one minute is up, have students make note of the number that they finished. Switch jobs (one “answers”, while the other is the “checker”). Then both try again and try to beat THEIR OWN previous score.
Need other fact fluency tents?
Addition Fact Fluency Tents
Multiplication Fact Fluency Tents