Thank you for your interest in "Subtraction Strategies for Common Core Math Instruction!" I created this packet in response to meeting new math standards set forth in the Common Core. The activities and strategies in this packet are designed to move your students away from the “algorithm” method of subtraction. Here they will learn to use the strategy of SPLITTING (without regrouping). They will also learn how to use an Open Number Line (with and without regrouping). They will have the opportunity to practice counting forward and backward on the Number Line.
As a parent myself, I know how important it is to stay informed of your child’s learning! I have included information sheets that can be sent home to parents. This will help to ensure that your students will be practicing the new strategies at home as well as in class!
In this large and comprehensive packet, you will find:
- Information on the strategies of Splitting and Open Number Line for
- Information on how addition and subtraction are related
- Practice with subtracting multiples of 10
- Guided Practice Sheets
- Independent Practice Sheets
- Two games designed for whole class, small group and/or partner
- Poster with Jingle to remind students when to Split and when to use
an Open Number line (regrouping/not regrouping)
- Poster for "RICE" Based on Singapore Math Strategies for Problem
Solving (Read and Record, Illustrate, Compute, Explain)
I hope you find this information useful. Strategies in this packet are based on Everyday Math, Singapore Math and Marilyn Burns Math Instruction.
I love comments and hope you follow me here at TPT.
I hope to see you over at the Teacher's Chair!
Subtraction Strategies for Common Core Instruction
by Tracey Schumacher
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Based on a work at theteacherschair.blogspot.com