Students are introduced by PowerPoint to 10 commonly used suffixes. Each suffix has example words that are supported by colorful graphics. The PowerPoint goes over the rules "Final E", "Changing y to i" and "doubling consonants" when applying suffixes. There are 6 quizzes that go directly along with the PowerPoint that can be done as a class, in groups or as individuals. There are 4 additional worksheets to practice what they have learned.
This unit can be used in several grades.
• PowerPoint introducing commonly used suffixes and their rules. 27 pages
-y, -ing, -ed, -less, -er, -ist, -or, -est, -ful, -ous
Changing "y" to "i"
• Suffix List - list of common suffixes.
• Suffix One Who - Students select the correct suffix to make a proper word.
• Suffix Breakdowns - Students separate the suffix from the base word then use the word to write a sentence.
• Suffix Breakdowns II - Students separate the suffix from the base word then use the word to write a sentence.
• Suffix Match Ups - Students make words from a set of suffixes and base words.
• Suffix Quizzes - Goes along with the PowerPoint or can be used as worksheets. 6 pages
• Answer Sheets - Answers for quizzes and worksheets.
From The Developer:
I was a 2nd and 3rd grade elementary teacher for 33 years. I'm now a teaching librarian. It was always a struggle to find a good suffix resource, so I helped develop this comprehensive unit. Since this is an important subject to cover in early elementary years, we hope you find it useful.
Prefixes, Suffixes and Roots
Participles: Past "ed" and Present "ing"
Copyright © Galloping Turtle Books - All Rights Reserved. The purchase of this unit, including the individual parts, are for one teacher only. Other teachers or classrooms must purchase their own individual license. All the individual elements are copyrighted and not in the public domain. Rights do not allow any publication of any parts of the work or uploading to the school website or the internet in any form.
For More Educational Resources: