Summarize It! Task Cards - Nonfiction Text Summary with Audio - Print & Digital
- Google Apps™
- Easel Activity
Also included in
- Huge discounted bundle of 22 sets of Reading Strategy Task Cards! Each card features a short, curriculum-based and/or high-interest passage, along with a text-dependent question or prompt. 17 sets include Audio Support and all the sets have Google Apps and Easel resources!This bundle includes 22 tasPrice $64.03Original Price $80.14Save $16.11
- This huge bundle of task cards includes reading skills and strategies, figurative language, vocabulary, sentence building and punctuation, parts of speech, affixes and roots, writing prompts, and plenty of overall ELA test prep and review. There are 107 products in this bundle, but you will get closPrice $260.20Original Price $377.43Save $117.23
- These eight sets of reading strategies task cards have been classroom-tested by tens of thousands of teachers.Each card features a short, curriculum-based, and/or high-interest passage, along with a text-dependent question or prompt. Challenge cards are also included to extend the learning. There arPrice $26.82Original Price $33.52Save $6.70
- Grab our money-saving bundle for summarizing and paraphrasing texts. These task cards and activities are great practice for elementary students learning to paraphrase and to summarize fiction and non-fiction passages.What's Included:Paraphrasing for beginners (paraphrasing sentences)Paraphrasing ParPrice $9.98Original Price $14.03Save $4.05
- Help your students build comprehension with these 8 sets of task cards! The resources in this bundle have been classroom-tested by tens of thousands of teachers and will save you 25% off the regular prices!Each card features a short, curriculum-based and/or high-interest passage. The digital versionPrice $19.96Original Price $28.32Save $8.36
- Teach summary in both English and Spanish with this bilingual task card bundle! The task card sets are identical to each other and are great for ESL students, bilingual schools, and extra enrichment!You can be sure that the Spanish Task Cards are grammatically and culturally correct as they have beePrice $4.96Original Price $7.92Save $2.96
- Teach reading strategies in both English and Spanish with this bilingual task card bundle! The task card sets are identical to each other and are great for ESL students, bilingual schools, and extra enrichment!You can be sure that the Spanish Task Cards are grammatically and culturally correct as thPrice $27.28Original Price $54.20Save $26.92
Summarizing nonfiction texts can be so hard for students! Give them lots of practice with these 24 informational task cards! Use in a print or digital format!
- 24 Task Cards (prints 4 to a page)
- Recording Sheets
- Answer Keys
- Google Slides
- Easel Activity
- Digital or Print
- Challenge Cards to extend the lesson
- Audio Support
- Multiple versions of the recording sheet included
Great for 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th grade!
CHECK OUT THE PREVIEW TO SEE A LOT MORE!
This resource is part of a money-saving bundle!
This bundle includes these resources:
- Making Predictions Task Cards
- Questioning Task Cards
- Visualizing Task Cards
- Compare & Contrast Task Cards
- Making Inferences Task Cards
- Making Connections Task Cards
- Author's Purpose Task Cards
This resource is also included in the following money-saving bundles:
- Reading Strategies Task Cards MEGA Bundle
- ELA Task Cards MEGA Bundle
- Reading Strategies Task Cards Bundle
- Reading Strategies Task Cards MINI Bundle
- Summary & Paraphrasing Mini Bundle
This resource uses American English and is editable.
By presenting only one paragraph at a time, the often overwhelming task of summarizing becomes much more manageable. In addition, the word count limit will keep students from simply rewriting the entire paragraph. You may want to remind students that they must answer with a complete sentence (the challenge was issued as a word count instead of limiting to one sentence to avoid long, run-on sentences as answers).
- Download our to learn 31 different ways you can use this resource!
✏️ "Student after reading the directions on the card, 'What?! Only 12 words?! How can I do that?!' A comment from the same student after completing card, 'Wow! This makes you really think about what's most important! You really have to use your brain!' Translation? Success!" -Madeline Herrera.
✏️ "After reading your free download 'Task Card Handbook', I was motivated to start using task cards. Now my students prefer using the task cards to practicing skills on work sheets. These non-fiction stories are perfect for getting at the main idea. Using only 12 words was difficult at first but then the students got into it. Tried moving the students from one seat to another and then posted the cards on the wall for them to finish by the end of the week. Great resource, great activities!" -Lenore S.
✏️ "I absolutely loved how this included audio support for my students who need text-to-speech. It made it very easy for them to do independently and also was user friendly." -Courtney P.
YOU MIGHT ALSO LOVE…
- Close Reading Passages and Questions
- Scavenger Hunts
- Reading Responses Worksheets & Graphic Organizers
Common Core Standards:
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.4.2 and RI.5.2 Determine the main idea of a text and explain how it is supported by key details; summarize the text.
- CCSS.ELA-Literacy.RI.6.2 Determine a central idea of a text and how it is conveyed through particular details; provide a summary of the text distinct from personal opinions or judgments.
Be the first to know about discounts, freebies and new resources!
- Follow us on .
- Join our .
- Check out our Blog
- Follow us on Social Media - or
Get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
- Go to your My Purchases page.
- Click on the Provide Feedback button to leave a rating and a short comment.
- You’ll earn TPT credits, which you can redeem on future purchases!
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ WE STRIVE FOR 5 STARS! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
NEED HELP? Before leaving feedback:
- Visit the FAQs section
- submit a help ticket
- ask a question on the Q& A tab
About the Author
These passages were written by me, Rachel Lynette. I am a published author of over 120 nonfiction books for children on a variety of subjects, as well as several teacher resource books. I have written for publishers such as Harcourt, Thompson-Gale, Rosen, Children’s Press, Evan-Moor, Kagan, and several others. These passages reflect more than a decade of professional writing experience.
This resource was created by Rachel Lynette and Cassi Noack for Minds in Bloom INC., all rights reserved. It may be used by the original purchaser for single class use only. Teachers may distribute this product in email, through google classroom or over the Internet to their students (and parents) as long as the site is password protected. In other words, you may distribute it to your own students, but may not put it on the Internet where it could be publicly found and downloaded.
This product is happily brought to you by Rachel Lynette and Cassi Noack of Minds in Bloom